The old adage that you only have one chance to make a first impression goes a long way with buying and selling your home. Stop and ask yourself: What does the neighborhood look like? Do buyers want to buy your home over your neighbors?
Nice curb appeal can increase the sale price of the house by an average of 10%. The price point and market also influence the home price. But if buyers like what the see on the outside, they may also like what they see on the inside. With so many homes on the market, the need to make you house stand out has never been more important.
Without spending hundreds and thousands of the dollars on landscaping and exterior design, there are several simple things sellers can do to find those qualified buyers:
- Homes with paintable siding can be brightened with a fresh coat of paint.
- Repaint that fading trim and straighten the crooked shutter.
- Vinyl siding may be in need of a thorough power washing.
- Clean up the yard, trim the bushes, remove old leaves, and plant some new shrubs.
- Keep the lawn mowed and the gutters clear of debris.
- Plant some colorful flowers in the front of the house to brighten up the home.
- Spread some fresh mulch, pine, or bedding material around the plants and trees.
- Add window boxes for additional flowers and some added charm.
- Replace the outdoor light bulbs and broken fixtures -remember to keep them on.
- Keep the driveway clear of clutter, bikes, and toys.
- Dull doorknob? Clean, polish, or paint it.
- Wash the windows -it is that easy!
- And remember to hang a flag on the porch or a seasonal wreath on the door.